One of the most visited cities in the world, the ‘sun city’ of Jodhpur is a humming urban dwelling on the edge of the Thar Desert in Rajasthan, one of the most famous tourist destinations in India. Gracing many a travel magazine, the indigo hue of the city never fails to charm the tourists that swarm the city all through the year.
While the city is brimming with all sorts of attractions for tourists to drown into, there are certain quintessential experiences within the city that would all always leave you coming back for more. Hand-picked from some of the finest activities, here are some of the offbeat experiences in Jodhpur you can choose to indulge in:
1. Check into India’s first heritage hotel, Ajit Bhawan Palace – Built in 1927 for Maharaja Ajit Singh Ji, Ajit Bhawan Palace is a luxury hotel in Jodhpur nestled in the heart of the city, close to Mehrangarh Fort. Owned and managed by the Jodhpur aristocrats, royalty is embedded in each and every corner of this 5-star hotel in Jodhpur. Despite its recent facelift, the hotel has well preserved its elemental ingredients and is one of the best hotels in Jodhpur.
2. Be a part of the opium ceremony, Amal Sabha – While opium is banned in the country, it’s an integral part of Rajasthan’s flamboyant culture and the authorities turn a blind eye to it. Comprising of a small conclave of men, Amal Sabha is a traditional gathering which is believed to be over thousand years old.
3. Stroll through the Rao Jodha Desert Park – Rao Jodha Desert Park was established in the year 2006 with a view to restore the natural ecology of the area. Sitting in the lee of Mehrangarh Fort, this sector of wasteland witnessed decades of neglect and was infested with thorny shrubs. Now boasting of over 80 species of plants, the park comprises of numerous trails and offers a perfect opportunity to experience the native flora and fauna.
4. Savour the royal cuisine of Jodhpur – From masala tea at Bhati Tea Stall to Samosa and Mirchi Vada at Shahi Samosa to Mawa Kachori at Janta Sweet Home to Makhani Lassi at Mishrilal Hotel, the local delicacies form an imminent part of Jodhpur’s culture. When in Jodhpur, make sure you relish on these delicacies.
5. Desert safari at Osian – Located around 65 kilometers from Jodhpur, Osian is the nearest getaway destination from Jodhpur and offers a mesmerizing desert safari experience. Rambling through the desert is easily one of the most offbeat things to do in Jodhpur and is a perfect way to witness the glory of the Thar Desert.